Saturday, August 11, 2012

What now? Musings on adding a bike to the stable

With the BMW gone, I am left with one measley bike to ride. Just one. A tiny little 2294 cc minibike known as the Triumph Rocket III.

OK, hyperbole aside, I really am looking to buy another bike...either an addition to or instead of my Rocket. I do enjoy my Triumph and I can ride that anywhere for the immediate and distant future if I don't find another steed.


There are so many motorcyles to consider, so many options. New, used, sport, touring, sport touring, cruiser, American, Japanese.


Holy cow, there are some decisions to make. I know, I know...this is something every one of us riders has done: Researched, selected and bought a bike.


I have narrowed the search to 2 or 3 wheels (as the CanAm Spyder is not out of the question). That's about it so far.


I would like to continue the long distance riding, but I want a bike with "soul" that I can take on a long day ride or to work.


Here are some bikes I'm thinking about, in no particular order:

Harley Ultra Classic (or the Road Glide/Street Glide)

Can Am Spyder

Kawasaki Voyager

Honda Valkyrie

Yamaha FJR1300 (I like this bike)

Kawasaki KLR650 (just something to have "on the side")

Triumph Rocket Standard


(The Goldwing, AKA: HondaMinium, has been left off the list for now.)


Your input and opinions are requested and valued!


The research begins..

1 comment:

  1. You could also go nostalgic and get you a 70s era Japanese bike, like a CB or KZ series, if you want soul. Between the Ultra Classic or Road Glide, get the Road Glide, the frame mounted fairing over the fork mounted makes it easier to steer. The Kawasaki Voyager had too much plastic parts, it just felt flimsy to me. and I agree, I love the FJR.

    ReplyDelete