Wednesday, August 6, 2014

IMS ADV Footpeg review



A few days before departing for a 30-day ride through Canada and Alaska, a friend of mine had a chance meeting with Chris Hardin from IMS Products. Chris thought that his new IMS Adventure footpegs would be perfect for such a ride.

I reluctantly removed my Fastway pegs, a set I was quite fond of, and installed the larger (wider, longer, heavier) IMS ADV pegs on my KTM 990. Hmmm, not bad at all.

I was immediately drawn to the quality of these pegs. They looked and felt as if someone had designed these things to be bulletproof. They are solidly constructed of 17-4 cast stainless steel and fit perfectly where the stock pegs would go.

I called Chris to verify a point of installation and found that the guy knows his products. I told him that I was a little concerned that a new product would be tested on such a brutal ride. He assured me that IMS had been around quite a while and he was confident that the pegs could withstand anything the Great White North could throw at them...even a drop, should that occur.

I should've knocked on wood right then.

After returning from 24 days of riding in Alaska and Canada (9600 miles--close to 1800 of that was on dirt or unimproved roads) I can confirm that these footpegs are as tough as any on the market.

We routinely updated our RR on ADV Rider (It's Pronounced In-You-Vick. I think. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988579&page=6) if you want to see what we did and where we went.

I used the IMS ADV pegs the entire ride and they held up well. I liked the pegs from the moment I installed them.

The bottom line is, I had already installed some pegs I liked but gave the IMS ADV pegs a try. They were sturdy and comfortable and held up extremely well in some very challenging circumstances. I do not baby my bike.

The best feature of these pegs, in my opinion, is the size: they are wider and longer than probably any other footpeg on the market. This is a huge plus for those riders who plan to put in a lot of miles or have big boots.

The quality is unchallenged. I "may" have dropped my bike a "couple" of times (no photos=no proof! ) and the foot pegs remained unscathed. They are solidly built and stood up to some serious abuse on this ride.

I can attest to the durability and comfort of the IMS pegs. On top of that, they look good! I highly recommend them and have decided to keep them on my bike instead of replacing them with the pair I had previously installed.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pegs!!

    I was wondering how the trip went. I am never on ADV Rider so I hadn't a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, what a ride! I had a great time and will document the ride on my blog soon. I did update ADV as I rode along just because it was easy to access.

    Now, planning for the Next Great Ride begins...

    ReplyDelete