Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Back on 2 wheels after 4 months!

As some might know, I had some ankle surgery in late August and took some time off work to recuperate.

Being away from work wasn't so bad...being away from my bikes was!

While incapacitated, I added another bike to the herd, a Gen 1 KLR 650; I'm a sucker for those bikes...

Anyhow, when the cast came off in December, I vowed to get back on 2 wheels as soon as I could. I began walking with a limp but no crutches. In early January I felt well enough to hobble over to my bike and said, "Well, I may as well try."

A friend wanted to join me for a "mostly" pavement ride, so off we went.

Here's a write-up of that half-day ride: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22692-double-d-and-the-slut-ride-of-recuperation-this-time-its-personal/

I should warn you that it's rated PG-17...

So, after 4 months of not riding, I was able to ride all the bikes in one weekend: The KTM 990 ADV, the big girl (my Triumph Rocket III) and my KLR.

As any of you who've been off your bikes for any amount of time will understand, it was a good feeling being being bars again!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for getting back on two feet and two wheels.

    I had ankle surgery right out of high school (late 80's) and wasn't impressed at being non-weight bearing for months. At least it was before I started riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cool to have so many people come up to me and tell me they went through the same thing. The empathy was incredible.

      Motorcycle enthusiasts were especially understanding!

      Delete
  2. PG-17 indeed!... :D Congrats on getting back astride the rides! It must have been a living hell, especially through ideal riding season--autumn.

    A few warm-up rides now and then, and you'll be in tip-top shape for that first fine day in spring (my perspective is shaped by my living in the snowy and oft-subfreezing northish).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I plan on a yearly KLR ride in Arizona this April and at least two Baja camp/rides this summer. Excited to be back out there.

      Delete