Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Review of IMS ADV II footpegs for KLR650



First off, I'll start by saying that I'm a fan of IMS products. I've owned several sets of their footpegs on various motorcycles and I have one of their 6.6 gallon tanks on my Gen 1 KLR.

In 2014, I rode 10,000 miles from San Diego to Inuvik in Northwest Territories of Canada and back on my KTM 990 Adventure. While outfitting my bike for optimal comfort for that ride, I installed the IMS ADV I footpegs (see review here http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2014/08/ims-adv-footpeg-review.html). I found them to be perfect pegs for that ride: solid, well-made and very comfortable.

So when I heard that IMS developed a newer version of the footpegs for the venerable Kawasaki KLR 650, I had to give them a try. (I should note that I removed a set of very good --though smaller--IMS pegs to install the new ones.)

Right out of he box I could tell that these pegs were nicely crafted and just as pretty as the original ADV I pegs...with some slight modifications. They are beefier and larger--longer and wider--than any other footpegs on the market. The addition of a "foot" allows for more room for a rider's boots.

Installation was easy...just a matter of swapping out the old pegs by removing the post and spring. The entire process took less than 5 minutes.

The riding experience is solid and comfortable, allowing secure footing whether resting or standing. The larger platform on these footpegs would be perfect for riders with bigger feet and for those who want a more comfortable place to rest their boots on longer rides.

These pegs can be found in the $170-210 price range online and at most local motorcycle shops that carry quality gear. They're produced by a US company and backed by a lifetime warranty.

IMS Products, Riverside, CA
https://www.imsproducts.com/

See photos of my KLR's current footpegs--and the ADV I pegs on my KTM--as compared to the new ADV II pegs.
































No comments:

Post a Comment