Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New Corbin Saddle on my 2004 BMW R1150GS

UPDATED REVIEW: After 6,000+ miles in 8 days, I am qualified to rate this particular seat a solid 4/10. I found it uncomfortable after the first 100 - 150 miles of riding and pretty much unbearable after 500 miles. I enjoyed the heated portion quite a bit while going over high mountain passes -- some of them icy or snowy -- but that wasn't enough to make my rear end happy for long-term/high-mileage touring. I considered all types of alternatives to improve the comfort of this seat along the way: a sheepskin cover, an inflatable (AirHawk) cover, wood beads...anything would've been an improvement! I've previously owned a Corbin saddle and was extremely satisfied with it over many, many miles of riding. While that previous seat was "harder" and didn't "give" as much, this particular saddle was soft and too "cushy" and did not appear to be made for long-distance touring. I understand that motorcycle seats require a "wear-in" period, but 6,000 miles should have been sufficient to break in any saddle. I am considering selling or modifying it, but cannot recommend (or use) it as is. I hope this review helps some rider and his/her posterior. PREVIOUS: I'd previously bought a Seat Concepts saddle for my GS. As much as I wanted to like it, it did not have the heated element. I found a Corbin saddle (both front and passenger/rear and backrest) and sold my Seat Concepts saddle to a friend.

I've had Corbin seats on previous bikes and was impressed with the quality and comfort...though their hardness can scare riders at first.

I found a heated Corbin for a resonable price and jumped on it.

I'm liking it so far (6 weeks in) and will do an updated review once I complete the 10,000-mile+ USA 4 Corners ride next month!

NOTE: This purchase has actually nothing to do with the recent story about the man and his BMW and his Corbin seat...I bought mine over a m,onth before this came tyo light!

Calif. Man Sues BMW For Persistent Erection
April 30, 2012 9:36 AM
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/04/30/calif-man-sues-bmw-for-persistent-erection/

BMW North America has probably had to deal with plenty of unusual lawsuits, but one filed last week may be a first — a California man says the seat on his motorcycle has given him an erection he just can’t shake.

Henry Wolf of California is suing BMW America and aftermarket seatmaker Corbin-Pacific claiming his issue began after a four-hour ride on his 1993 BMW motorcycle, with a ridge like seat. Wolf is seeking compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, emotional distress and what he calls “general damage.”

He said he’s had the erection non-stop for 20 months. And it comes with another side effect: The lawsuit says Wolf is “now is unable to engage in sexual activity, which is causing him substantial emotional and mental anguish.”

WWJ Newsradio 950 spoke with Dr. Michael Lutz, at the Michigan Institute of Urology, who said there is no medical data to support the man’s claim. However, “It’s been long-known that compression of the neurovascular supply to the penis — if it’s compressed for a period of time, whether it be on a bicycle seat or some other device — it can actually cause prolonged numbness of the genitalia,” Lutz said.

“Not only in men, but women can also get numbness in that region if they’re compressing those nervous structures to that region of the body,” he said.

BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan in Canton, Mich., checked out the story and noted the man wasn’t riding a standard BMW motorcycle seat. He was on an after-market seat, which start at about $200. People generally buy them to make the ride more comfortable.

“Sometimes people say it’s more comfortable, sometimes people can get a tall seat or a low seat or they’re shorter or taller, they can come heated,” said Theresa at BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment