Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Good-bye, trusty KLR


Well, I’ve gone and done it. I’ve sold my beloved KLR. After just 2 years and 7,000+ miles, I had to let her go.

The reasons are varied and probably don’t make sense, but I had 3 bikes in my garage and couldn’t justify keeping all 3 if I wasn’t riding them all enough.

I put all 3 up for sale and sold the first two to get offers: My KLR and KTM 950 ADV went fast. Am looking at another bike soon, but will keep my Triumph for now.

I was asked by a friend why the KLR had to go. It was really about a recent Baja ride I did. Off pavement was fine, it was riding 4 full days of 75-85 MPH that convinced me that I need a long distance dual sport bike that holds up for lots of miles on a day-after-day basis. Many of you know that I’m an Iron Butt guy and put a lot of miles on my bikes so if I buy another Dual Sport, it’ll have to be something that is great off road and good enough on long distance asphalt.

Sure, I’ll miss my KLR. It was bulletproof and dang near perfect for the riding I do. But what I’ll miss the most is the camaraderie of the other KLRistas. The guys I rode with in Arizona, San Diego trails and Baja. And the fine folks I met at Eagle Mike’s tech days. There just isn’t another bike community like the KLR riders I met and rode with.

So I guess this is good-bye, KLR-wise.

For now, anyhow.

3 comments:

  1. I am sure you will find something you will love just as much but will serve your dual purpose better.

    It can be fun changing up the bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, of course.

    I've gone through a few bikes (and cars and guitars and other cool stuff). While I usually have Sellers Remorse, I eventually find a nice replacement.

    Just tough letting go of stuff one really enjoys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having purchased and sold countless cars, pickups and motorcycles, the one that I still think "got away" was my KLR. Funny thing is that if I still had it, I probably wouldn't appreciate it.

    Such is life, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete